Monday, November 13, 2017

Twitter...Who really gives a S#!T

    WOW! What can I say about John Ronson’s video on TedTalk, aside from it was absolutely disgusting to watch. Social media shaming is absolutely disgusting, people in general believe they are doing a good deed by shaming someone who has something that others find immoral. The problem is that those who are doing the shaming are worse than those who are being shamed.
The story of Justine Sacco is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Justine made what seemed to be a rather fucked up joke that ended up being taken so far out of context that Twitter followers essentially ruined this woman’s life by shaming her on Twitter. Whether the joke she told via Twitter was funny or not, racist or not, did she truly deserve to be shamed the way she was, and have her life flipped upside down? 

People began shaming this woman without ever hearing her side of the story. Nobody took the time to find out why she said what she did via Twitter. “Good natured people” just began the public annihilation of this woman as soon as they read the Twitter feed that she had posted. It is hard for me to fathom how cruel people can be to others. Hell even if Justine was a flat out racist and you didn’t like what you read, how hard would it have been to just move on, look past it, or even message her and try to help her see the light. Why must people go to such an extreme, and rip people to shreds? Is this what is considered to be social media justice? It seems to be that Justine is doing life without parole in cyber land.   

This brings me to my typical Danny rant that I tend to insert into all of my blogs, however this rant will most likely be longer than most of the ones prior too. I hate Twitter, I find this form of social media to be absolutely pathetic. I have never used this site prior to this English class, and I damn well guarantee that the day this class ends, my Twitter account will be deleted. To this point, the only thing that I have even remotely like about Twitter is that I can get some updates from sites that I like, such as; Nascar, different hunting and fishing sites, and from people who actually like my president Donald Trump. Aside from that, scrolling through all the bullshit to find even one tweet that would interest me, quite frankly is not worth my time. Not to mention, the majority of the tweets that do interest me are posted on Facebook anyway.
I know that my blog may fall just a bit short of the 500 words that are required, but to be perfectly honest, I am too pissed off to write anymore.

REFERENCES:
Ronson, J. (2015, June ). When online shaming goes too far. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/jon_ronson_what_happens_when_online_shaming_spirals_out_of_control?language=en#t-793032 

1 comment:

  1. Nice response. Like you said, it seems to me that the main problem lies in what happened to people like Justine Sacco, who was tried, found guilty and executed in the public's eye before she even had a chance to defend herself. It's that very group think mob mentality. that comes from anonymity on Twitter that make it so dangerous. It's also pretty Unamerican if you think about it; aren't we supposed to believe in the presumption of innocence?

    ReplyDelete